Residents of Fire Island, N.Y., experienced a three-day drinking water emergency after a water authority employee took tainted water samples. Patrick Vecchio, field operator for the Suffolk County Water Authority, took samples across Fire Island—eight of his 10 samples contained E. coli bacteria. After retesting the water, officials determined the water was safe. Vecchio, who was in a hurry, had tainted the water by sticking his finger in the tube. His blunder cost the authority $100,000 in overtime, bottled water, ice, and other expenses. He has since been fired from the position he received through his father, a local politician.