A team of students from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, won this year's American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Concrete Canoe Competition, held June 25–27. The contest, designed to provide students with a practical application of the engineering principles they learned in the classroom, along with important team and project management skills they will need in their careers, showcased the versatility and durability of concrete. Students from Clemson University took home the second place trophy.
The races, both endurance and sprint, counted for only 25% of the teams' overall score. The remaining 75% comprised an academic paper, an oral presentation detailing their design, and the end product—the final racing canoe. The winners of the competition were determined by compiling a team's total number of points from the academic and race portions of the competition.
For more information, visit www.asce.org.