Click here for this month's Web extras:
From "FUNDING GAP COULD GROUND MUNICIPAL AIRPORTS"
In August, Congress temporarily reauthorized Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) funding after a two-week shutdown. The lapse reportedly cost $400 million in lost jobs, time lost on construction projects, and delays in safety and security projects.
Click here for examples of projects affected by the shutdown.
FROM "75 YEARS AND COUNTING"
Click here to preview products and services from nearly 100 APWA Congress exhibitors.
FROM "WORTH THE RISK"
Construction-manager-at-risk delivers Florida roads on time and under budget.
Web exclusive: Read more details about Cape Coral's highway expansion project with construction-manager-at-risk, Balfour Beatty Construction.
Public Works explored how the Osceola County Public Works Division in Florida benefited from construction-manager-at-risk projects (September 2009).
- "Rapid deployment": http://www.pwmag.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=0&articleID=1067371
The Transportation Research Board (TRB) has published a report detailing ways in which public agencies are applying construction-manager-at-risk project delivery to their construction projects.
- Construction Manager-at-Risk Project Delivery for Highway Programs (2009): http://www.trb.org/Publications/Blurbs/Construction_ManageratRisk_Project_Delivery_for_Hi_162916.aspx
Associated General Contractors (AGC) of America resources:
- Construction-manager-at-risk overview: http://www.agc.org/cs/cm_atrisk
- Link to state-by-state maps: http://www.agc.org/cs/industry_topics/project_delivery/cmatrisk
- CM/GC Guidelines for Public Owners (2007): http://store.agc.org/Construction-Delivery/Project-Delivery-Systems/2912
Although public works departments use alterative project-delivery methods, our recent reader survey reveals design-bid-build is still the preferred method of choice. Below are the most common alternative-procurement methodologies.