Click here for this month's Web extras:
Top AEC Firms
From "OPPOSITES ATTRACT"
Most popular AEC services
Help wanted (water expertise preferred)
AEC mergers & acquisitions
AEC management solutions firm Morrissey Goodale provides interactive maps of merger and activity by calendar year:
From "EMBRACING THE CEDAR RIVER"
An inflatable dam provides flood protection and preserves the history of Waverly, Iowa.
Four steps to cost-effective dam replacement
How a community of 10,000 cut construction costs without compromising safety.
Work on Waverly, Iowa's most recent flood-mitigation project — an “inflatable” dam — began in October 2010 and continued through the winter of 2010-11 when the Cedar River is historically at its lowest flow rate.
Snow and Ice Control
From "DEICING RUNOFF DIVERTED"
An anaerobic processing system cuts one airport's water pollutants by almost 90%.
- In response to federal and state water quality standards, Portland International Airport (PDX) upgraded its water treatment system to keep runoff from the runway and aircraft deicers out of the nearby Columbia Slough and Columbia River. At the heart of the new water treatment system is a state-of-the-art anaerobic processing facility - one of three in the world, and the largest in the U.S. See how the process works.
Water quality guidelines for airports
This year, the U.S. EPA issued new guidelines and source performance standards discharges from airport deicing operations that will impact all airports built in the future, including:
EPA Effluent Guidelines for Airport Deicing Discharges Fact Sheet
- EPA Economic Analysis for Final Effluent Limitation Guidelines and Standards for the Airport Deicing Category
- EPA Environmental Impact and Benefit Assessment for the Final Effluent Limitation Guidelines and Standards for the Airport Deicing Category
The Port of Portland also complies with effluent limitation guidelines and statutes set by the state of Oregon:
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality: Regulatory Mixing Zone in NPDES Permits
- Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 468B.025
- Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) 340-041-0033