The University of California, Berkeley, won the “America's Cup of Civil Engineering” at the American Society of Civil Engineers' 22nd Annual National Concrete Canoe Competition in June. With its 230-pound, 20-foot-long canoe, the team defeated 21 other entries from top engineering schools. The race counted toward 25% of the overall score; the remaining 75% was based on a technical design paper, a formal oral presentation, and the final racing canoe and project display. Visit