- 2nd National Conference on Context-Sensitive Solutions, Nov. 16–17, Atlanta, www.asce.org.
- 2006 National Ground Water Association Expo, Dec. 5–8, Las Vegas, www.ngwa.org.
- National League of Cities Congress of Cities and Expo, Dec. 5–9, Reno, Nev., www.nlc.org.
- World of Concrete, Jan. 22–26, www.worldofconcrete.com.
- National Asphalt Pavement Association's 52nd Annual Meeting, Feb. 18–21, San Francisco, www.hotmix.org.
- The Work Truck Show, March 7–9, Indianapolis, www.ntea.com.
- World of Asphalt, March 19–22, Atlanta, www.worldof asphalt.com.
Recycling construction debris fast and easy
In July, the Nevada County DOT and Sanitation opened a construction and demolition (C&D) debris center at its McCourtney Road Transfer Station. “We wanted to make it faster and easier for contractors and the public to recycle their construction debris,” says recycling technician Ben Chambers. A total of 25% of the waste hauled to the transfer station is C&D debris.
Diving into pool renovations
In an exclusive PUBLIC WORKS reader survey, 58% of respondents indicated that their town's public works department has at least one swimming pool under its jurisdiction. Of those, 64% indicated they've renovated their pools in the past two years. This chart shows how they paid for the aquatic alterations.