Meet, mingle, meld...
McDonald’s Cycle Center and Bike Lanes. See unique features, such as a bike-specific traffic light, firsthand.
Make new friends or greet old ones at meals, receptions, a fun run or over golf.
- First-Timers Meeting Sunday, Aug. 25, 7–8:20 a.m.
- Get Acquainted Party Sunday, Aug. 25. Time to be announced.
- Blood Drive Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 26 and 27.
- Canadian Public Works Association Luncheon Monday, Aug. 26, Noon–1:30 p.m. Additional fee applies.
- Public Works Historical Society Luncheon Monday, Aug. 26, Noon–1:30 p.m. Additional fee applies.
- Awards and Recognition Ceremony and Reception. Monday, Aug. 26, 5–7 p.m.
- Young Professionals Networking Reception Monday, Aug. 26, 8–9:30 p.m.
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers Breakfast Tuesday, Aug. 27, 7–8:15 a.m. Additional fee applies.
- Diversity Brunch Tuesday, Aug. 27, 10–11:30 a.m. Additional fee applies.
- 5K Fun Run / 2-mile Walk Tuesday, Aug. 27, 7:30 a.m. Additional fee applies.
- Golf Tournament Tuesday, Aug. 27, 8 a.m. Shotgun start.
Take a grand tour
Choose from six tours on Wed., Aug. 25, from 8 a.m.- 10:45 a.m.
Except for the Chicago Bike Lanes and Cycle Center Tour that costs $30 for bike and helmet rental, tours are included for full-week attendees. Non-registrants must pay a one-day registration fee for any selected tour as noted on the registration form. Sign up in advance as space is limited and participation is first-come, first-serve. Some tours require an advance security check and photo ID. Wear sturdy shoes.
The World’s Largest Truss Bridge at 130th and Torrence Avenue
Category: Streets, Roads and Bridges
Credit: J. Crocker
Millennium Park tree and history tour. These 25 acres house a bandshell designed by Frank Gehry and much more.
Chicago Bike Lanes & McDonald’s Cycle Center in Millennium Park
Category: Environment/Sustainability Parks and Grounds
Chicago’s Deep Tunnel
Chicago’s Green Roofs
Jardine Water Treatment Plant
Train your brain
Select from 194 educational presentations to be held Aug. 24 to 28. Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) at classroom talks, workshops, and onsite tours in the following categories:
- Career and Personal Development; 20 sessions.
- Must see session: What employees expect from their bosses–hear first-hand for yourself.
- Construction Management; 5 sessions.
- Emergency Management; 3 sessions.
- Engineering and Technology; 19 sessions.
- Must see session: Our filing system went electronic. WE FAILED! Then we did it the right way.
- Environment/Sustainability; 14 sessions.
Must see session: Green alleys and streets: How are they working?
Chicago’s Green Roofs tour. The City Hall Rooftop Garden has been testing green roof systems since 2001.
- Facilities; 3 sessions.
- Fleet Services; 5 sessions.
- Management; 43 sessions.
- Must see session: Media relations
- Parks and Grounds; 7 sessions.
- Snow and Ice; 4 sessions.
- Solid Waste; 7 sessions.
- Must see session: How to divert waste from going to the landfill
- Stormwater/Flood Control; 13 sessions.
- Must see session: Two-day stormwater summit
- Streets, Roads and Bridges; 23 sessions.
- Must see session: Funding to arterial roadway construction in four months!
- Traffic Engineering; 7 sessions.
- Utility and Public Right-of-Way; 5 sessions.
- Water/Wastewater; 16 sessions.
- Must see session: Sewer and water main rehabilitation methods that save tax dollars.