The American Public Works Association (APWA) promises to help “make your community shine” at the International Public Works Congress & Exposition, to be held Aug. 26 – 29 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California.
More than 400 exhibitors will offer products, services, and demonstrations organized in four specific areas:
- Technology Pavilion — the latest technologies in public works, including “There's an App for That” interactive demos
- Green Pavilion — eco-friendly products and services
- Central Park — innovative parks and recreation products in an actual park setting
- Exhibitor Solutions Theater — learn and earn continuing education units during 50-minute presentations.
Exhibits open at noon on Sun., Aug. 26, and close 2 p.m. Tues., Aug. 28, leaving plenty of time to explore educational opportunities.
More than 125 technical and professional development sessions will address current issues and ongoing challenges in every facet of public works, including: construction management, facilities, fleet services, parks and grounds, stormwater/flood control, solid waste, traffic engineering, and water/wastewater (see sidebar for editors' picks). Registered attendees will have free access to downloadable recordings and presentation slides online; those who cannot attend can purchase them.
The educational program begins with two all-day workshops on Sat., Aug. 25 (at additional cost) — Self Assessment Using the Public Works Practices Manual and Effective Consultant Management for the Public Works Agency. APWA's Water Resources Committee offers the Public Works Stormwater Summit, a special educational track including seminars on stormwater and flood control, including best management practices and regulatory initiatives, from 8 – 10:45 a.m. on Wed., Aug. 29.
Outside the classrooms, offsite tours on Wednesday, 8 – 11:00 a.m., include:
- Metropolitan Water District of Southern California — Robert B. Diemer Water Treatment Plant
- Orange County Sanitation District Facility
- Caltrans District 12 Traffic Management Center
- Disney Parking and Transportation Facilities
- Port of Long Beach Boat Tour
|PLAN YOUR WEEK IN ANAHEIM|
APWA will host special events that appeal to a variety of professional and personal interests (some events cost extra).
Canadian Public Works Association Luncheon
Awards and Recognition Ceremony/Reception
Young Professionals (35 years and younger) Networking Reception
American Academy of Environmental Engineers Breakfast