The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) held its annual Engineering Excellence Awards Gala in Washington, D.C., on May 2. The awards recognize achievements among private engineering firms. Awards were presented to firms who demonstrated technical, economic, and social value in their projects. The Grand Conceptor Award went to:
- United States Courthouse (U.S. General Services Administration), Seattle, Magnusson Klemencic Associates The Grand Awards went to:
- Iron Mountain Mine Slickrock Creek Reservoir (U.S. EPA), Redding, Calif., CH2M HILL
- Rocky Flats Closure Project (U.S. Department of Energy), Broomfield, Colo., CH2M HILL
- Standley Lake Dam Improvement (Standley Lake Operating Committee), Englewood, Colo., CH2M HILL
- Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge (South Carolina DOT), Columbia, S.C., Parsons Brinckerhoff Quade & Douglas Inc.
- Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport Light Rail Transit Tunnels and Lindbergh Station (Metropolitan Council), Minneapolis, HNTB Corp.